Gingrich Woos the Latino Vote By Adam Serwer
Newt Gingrich slammed Mitt Romney‘s proposal for “self-deportation” as an “Obama-level fantasy” an interview with Univision‘s Jorge Ramos Wednesday morning. If the polls are right, more than a tenth of the GOP electorate in Tuesday’s Florida primary will be of Hispanic origin.
“I think you have to live in a fantasy of Swiss bank accounts and Cayman Island accounts to have an idea this far from reality,” Gingrich said alluding to recent revelations from Romney’s recently released tax returns. “For Romney to believe that someone’s grandmother to be so cut off, that she’s going to self-deport? This is an Obama-level fantasy…[Romney] has no concern for the humanity of people already here.” According to the Pew Hispanic Center, more than two thirds of the nearly 11 million unauthorized immigrants in the US have been here ten years or more, and nine million people are part of “mixed status” families where one or more family members is undocumented.
The concept behind “self-deportation,” already at work in states like Arizona and Alabama, is that state governments can make life so miserable for unauthorized immigrants that they opt to leave the country. As explained by immigration restrictionist Mark Krikorian of the Center for Immigration Studies in 2005, this is done by turning every minute transaction with the government into an opportunity to ascertain legal status, such as “getting a driver’s license, registering an automobile, opening a bank account, applying for a car loan or a mortgage, getting a business or occupational license, and obtaining government services of any kind.”
- History Repeats Itself as Romney Takes a Hard-line on Immigration (timesofflorida.com)
- Newt Gingrich attacks Mitt Romney on immigration, fights off infidelity question and laughs at idea of Romney as running mate (miamiherald.typepad.com)
- Gingrich: You have to live in world of Swiss Bank account to buy Romney’s self-deportation plan (tampabay.com)
- Gingrich Slams Romney’s ‘Inhumane’ ‘Self-Deportation’ Policy For Undocumented Immigrants (thinkprogress.org)
- Will Latino Vote Save Romney in Florida? (themoderatevoice.com)